Outside Magazine _ Associate Editor (Dec. 2014 – present) Santa Fe, NM.
• Responsible for editorial strategy and breaking news for Outside Online.
• Conceptualize and direct coverage for the Adventure web section: assign and edit news and features; manage contractors/freelance writers.
• Edit front-of-the-book Dispatches section for Outside Magazine (print).
• Pitch and report news and feature articles on environmental issues, pro athletes, and adventure sports for the print magazine and website.
• Assign, edit, and oversee production of multimedia content packages corresponding to six-figure advertising accounts.
• Work with cross-platform teams to optimize social media and newsletter traffic and user engagement.
Circa _ Contributing Editor (Sept. 2012 – Nov. 2014) San Francisco, CA.
• Wrote and edited content for innovative start-up that “atomized” and re-imagined the format and delivery of traditional news for mobile.
• Closely tracked domestic and international breaking news to update live storylines in Circa’s mobile app. Focused on technology, business and science sectors.
• Collaborated with engineering teams on interface design to optimize user experience.
Freelance (Sept. 2012 — Dec. 2014) San Francisco, CA.
• Cover San Francisco Bay Area stories of national significance for The Washington Post, including the SFO plane crash, Prop. 8 ruling, and Trayvon Martin rallies.
• Regular contributor to Motherboard, VICE’s science/technology vertical, about privacy, security, bizarre innovation, and the convergence of technology and commerce.
• Contribute reported features and FOB pieces about tech privacy and environmental economics for various magazines, including WIRED, The Atlantic, Outside, and Surfer Magazine.
Half Moon Bay Review _ News Writer/Reporter (June 2008 – April 2010)
Award-winning, 6,800 circ. weekly newspaper. Half Moon Bay, CA.
• Cover San Mateo County coast-side, including national stories like the Mavericks Surf Contest.
• Produce 6 – 12 news articles per week on deadline–over 700 stories in 2 years.
• Update website with breaking news.
• Conceptualize and write monthly features for HMB Magazine.
INTERNSHIPS & FELLOWSHIPS
International Center for Journalists _ Arthur F. Burns Fellow (July 2013 – Oct. 2013) Berlin, Germany.
• Awarded reporting fellowship at the Berlin daily newspaper Der Tagesspiegel. Freelanced stories for VICE and The Atlantic on Berlin’s burgeoning tech industry and data privacy in the post-Snowden era.
The Washington Post _ Web Producer Intern (June 2012 – Aug. 2012) Washington, D.C.
• Packaged and arranged Washington Post and partner content for the “Business,” “Tech,” and “On Issues” sections of the Post’s website.
• Produced photo galleries, edited contributor blogs, wrote feature stories, and managed social media for these sections.
• Coordinated with section editors, designers, and developers on projects to make Post stories as engaging as possible (Increasing time-on-site).
• Generated regular reports on engagement metrics and analytics.
• Contributed data analytics analysis to Romney campaign coverage.
• Wrote several Business front section stories.
WaPo Labs _ Editorial Intern (Jan. 2012 – May 2012) San Francisco, CA.
• Tested new media tools for Washington Post’s West Coast R&D Lab.
• Created and managed topical news channels for 2012 Republican primaries (and other trending stories) for Trove.com, the Post‘s customizable news aggregator that powered its Social Reader on Facebook; Managed the Post’s Facebook fan page and Trove’s homepage.
• Analyzed user engagement data for Trove and the Post’s Social Reader.
The Patent Examiner _ Founder/Contributor (Sept. 2011 – Dec. 2011) Berkeley, CA.
• Under the direction of UC Berkeley’s Investigative Reporting Program, launched weekly news site focused on Silicon Valley’s “patent wars” and aggressive patent enforcement by patent trolls.
The Philadelphia Inquirer _ Features Intern (May 2011 – Aug. 2011) Philadelphia, PA.
• Wrote news and feature stories, ranging from health and science to business and culture.
• Created and edited news videos for Philly.com.
• Helped update strategy for hyperlocal coverage and social media engagement.
Mission Local _ Reporter/Producer (Aug. 2010 – Dec. 2010) San Francisco, CA.
• Covered real estate development, gentrification and land use issues in San Francisco’s Mission District for community news project of UC Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism.
• News and features produced in print and multimedia formats.
The Collegian _ Hughes Fellow (Jan. 2008 – May 2008) Salem, OR.
• Awarded reporting internship at The Collegian, Willamette University’s student newspaper. Covered President Obama’s 2008 campaign and Salem city news.
Chicago Reader _ Assistant to the Sales Director (Jan. 2007 – May 2007)
Alternative news weekly, circ. 120,000. Chicago, IL.
• Compile competitive research data on peer publications to expand advertising clientele.
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism _ Master’s in Journalism (2010 – 2012) Berkeley, CA.
Willamette University _ B.A. in English (2004 – 2008) Salem, OR.
UC Berkeley Extension _ Off-Campus Study (Fall 2007) Berkeley, CA.
Chicago Center _ Off-Campus Study (Spring 2007) Chicago, IL.
• Multimedia proficiency: Shoot and edit video and news photography; audio/visual editing software including FinalCutPro 7, ProTools, Reason, Acid Pro, Facebook 360; Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite 5.5, Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel), WordPress
• HTML5, CSS and jQuery; Google Analytics, Chartbeat metrics; Social media engagement
Available upon request.